Monday, June 21, 2010

Sadly... "There is always someone better"

Every four years, the world comes together. Supporting their countries and backing the players representing them in the world game. That's right... I'm talking about the FIFA World Cup!

It's that time again. Just over a week into the 2010 FIFA World Cup and the world has gone crazy for soccer. Every business that's any business getting in on the hype, mooching off what ever deal they can come up with that incorporates the world cup fever. Kids dragging their parents, and parents dragging their kids in to the local sports store to buy every bit of merchandise to support their country and their team. From the small country towns who gather at the local cinema, to the large city folk who gather by the harbour, everyone comes together at all hours of the morning to watch their team play.

Now, anyone reading this might think I'm against the soccer hype; that it "grinds my gears". HELL NO! If anything I'm soccer for life! So what's the problem? It's the fans! Yes everyone, the fans grind my gears!

The following took place on Tuesday 15.6.2010, the day following the first of Australia's world cup games. The Socceroos vs. Germany.

Where I work, this cafe` you will undoubtedly hear frequently about, many upon many of athletes, trainers and other workers involved in the sporting industry pass through on a daily basis for their regular coffee (another hint as to the where abouts of my location; a rather big one if I do say so myself). It's hard to not over hear many of the conversations that come with the regular crowds while they line up for the morning brew: someone's getting married, someone is pregnant, someone's going on a holiday, "they played terrible; I could do better myself." What the?!

For privacy, maybe because I don't know their names, there was Mr A, Mrs B, and number of other lettered individuals who had no trouble in holding back their input.
Conversations including:
Mr A: "They were too busy concentrating on getting the opposition offside. You would think if it didn't work the first time not to do it again."
Mrs B: "The line up was terrible. Where was Harry Kewell?"
Mr C: "It was pathetic. I could have done better myself."

OK... Maybe I agree just a little. When I play soccer, unless I hear that whistle or I see that flag go up, I'll run that player down to stop him having any chance of getting a goal; if I happen to believe it was offside and they do get a goal, bad luck, get it back. There were a number of fresh faces in the starting line up, none of which were from the A-League competition which one could assume then that they all have a skill level that is appealing to an INTERNATIONAL standard. As for Mr C, if you think you're so good, then why the bloody hell aren't you on the team!

Every man on that team has earnt his place! Every man on that team is one of Australia's BEST soccer players! No matter the result, those players have done THEIR BEST as AUSTRALIA'S BEST! A very well known phrase which I have heard quite frequently over the past week as fits very well to my post: "there is ALWAYS someone better." Sadly, in this particular circumstance... Germany was the better. But no matter what, I'm going to back the Socceroos to the end!

So, it is with support, positive thinking, good faith, and hope that I am proud to say... AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE! (OI! OI! OI!)

Goodluck to the Socceroos in their 2010 South Africa FIFA World Cup Campaign!

Flash out.

No comments:

Post a Comment